Some practical experience is required
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
We are continually updating our courses to take into account developments in technology and the electronic navigation aids now available on most cruising boats.
In conjunction with the UK Hydrographic Office we have developed a chart plotter specifically for use on training courses, giving you a realistic insight into electronic navigation. Use of this plotter is an integral part of our Day Skipper shorebased course.
The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. It can be covered as a series of short sessions or as an intensive week-long course.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
Duration: 5 days
26 – 31 April
10 – 14 May
6 – 10 Sept