Who we are
Lynher River Barge is a Community Interest Company formed in 2016 to save the Tamar sailing barge LYNHER from destruction. It all started with a broken barge in need of reconstruction at Cremylll, where Dominic and Barbara lived and worked in boat restoration and sail training. Following a continued community demand for Lynher to be rebuilt, Lynher CIC was formed. The restoration of the hull and rig was a great success made possible by the community support – watch Lynher’s Re-Launch
Learn more about the amazing history of Lynher here https://tamarbarge.org.uk/boat-history
The directors of Lynher CIC are: Robert Webster, Simon de Groot, Debbie Risbourough, Dominic and Barbara Bridgman. Dominic and Barbara both hold a considerable experience as sail training operators on historic ships. In the past three decades they have worked for various sail training charities and successfully managed a number of projects. During the years they have taught a host of trainees, some of them now expert seafarers and boatbuilders themselves! Without them and other incredible people joining the project as it developed, Lynher would not be floating today. Rob, Debbie and Simon, all expert business consultants, compensate our sailor’s nature with their knowledge and acumen, their contribution towards the growth and development of Lynher CIC is invaluable.
About The Gymnasium
The Gymnasium was built in 1899 by the Royal Navy and at that time was called ‘The impregnable Drill Shed’.
A Drill Shed was the common name for all of the training buildings for Navy sailors, officers and marines. ‘The Impregnable’ was anchored off Cremyll in 1862 when she was rated as a training ship for boy seamen of the Royal Navy. Since then, any ship converted to training Navy cadets at Devonport would be re-named the ‘Impregnable’ in her honour. The training school was eventually closed in 1948.
The Impregnable Drill Shed was then converted into the ‘Gymnasium’ where the children of Cremyll would exercise as part of their school day. Several people born at Cremyll in the 1950s and 60s remember their school days there, playing games and exercising at the Gymnasium which was adjacent to the Pavilion and Refectory opposite the cricket ground in the Obelisk Field.
When the school shut at Cremyll in the 1980s, the Gymnasium was leased by Mashfords boatyard and used to work GRP (glass reinforced plastic) until 2018 when the lease expired and Lynher CIC took over the premises thanks to support of the Earl of Edgcumbe.
Lynher CIC and its directors have a long lasting relationship with Cremyll and its boatbuilding heritage. It has long been their dream to use the Gymnasium as a maritime hub to promote our local maritime heritage, engage new people to the industry and support other projects through the sharing of knowledge and the delivery of training.
In the picture Lady Edgcumbe blessing Lynher before the launch with some help from project manager Dominic Bridgman.
Cremyll Maritime Training
The purpose of establishing the Cremyll Maritime Hub is to promote traditional seamanship and boatbuilding skills to the community of the Rame Peninsula and the wider public. Our objective is simple: to introduce more and a wider range of people to learning the skills required to preserve our maritime heritage. Thanks to the Earl of Edgcumbe we secured the Gymnasium, built as a training centre by the Navy at Cremyll in 1899. The Gymnasium is a land base for our community to find a space where to learn about boat maintenance and seamanship which will ultimately result in the new generations honing the skills to continue to preserve UK’s varied and rich maritime heritage.